Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Paris-Walking tour #2

Bonjour again, here is the second walking tour we went on...a different day, different sites, different tour guide. Same fun!!! Our tour guide was obsessed with History which made the tour even more enjoyable, and once again I will not be able to tell you half of what he told us....but he did look like a Mexican Johnny Depp when he put his glasses on...unfortunately I didn't get a picture....ah well....onward to pictures!!!
Notre Dame....very pretty!!
awesome fountain...for saint Micheal.
Melissa and said fountain...
here's the top...that is saint Micheal casting Lucifer into Hell.
closer view..
this bridge is HUGE!!!! and all along it there are these faces....they are all different. It is said that one of the kings...(I don't remember which one)...wanted to put all his friends in parliament on the bridge but he wanted to do it in a funny way so he got them all drunk on white and red wine which apparently when you mix makes you really sick, and he had this guy sketch them while they were being sick and then he put all them on the bridge like that....I wish I could remember which king it was....
Le Seine river...where they dumped their sewage for years...so swimming is not a good idea....
heres the bridge with all the faces...
these rings were put here to literally pull boats through when there was no current to pull them. That way they could keep traffic flowing back when they had no engines.
this is the police station...you can see there are holes in it. they are actually bullet holes from the resistance who attacked the building to get it back from the Nazi's
GUYS WITH GUNS!!!! at the Louvre...
one of the 4 pictures of Melissa and I in all our time knowing each other lol...
Le Seine River
because the left foot is raised it means he was murdered...
this is where the Catholic Church burnt the leader of the Templer (sp?) alive to show that they were separating with them. It's also where they shot some of the Da Vinci Code!!
Me making a wish...which failed because I didn't make it on the pillar...ah well...
This one President of France had a lot of bad ideas (the Pyramid in front of the Louvre, saying he would clean the River, and this tacky looking pillars ruining this beautiful building)
If you look the horse in this picture has it's right leg lifted which means that he died peacefully of natural causes...this guy was one of the most beloved kings of France...He promised before his reign was over everyone in France would have a Turkey dinner every Sunday (I think that's what it was) and they did...so Go him
the guy with the Ceaser like thing on his head is actually napoleon and this is one of two publicly displayed images of him in all of Paris.
the Pyramid...something modern surrounded by something ancient...I don't really think it's a good idea, but I guess some people do.
I liked this statue...no idea who it is or anything but I thought it was pretty.
boats!!!
L'Opera house...
Garden's...did you know 1/3 of the French people's tax money goes to the upkeep of all the garden's in Paris.
a weird statue...
a TURTLE!!! which is front of the little palace. This place was actually the building sacrificed in order to save Paris when Hitler ordered it to be destroyed
the big palace

this is where the original guillotine was...and they know that you are still conscience for 11 seconds after your head is cut off because this true scientist who was sentenced to be killed asked people in the crowd to call his name in a random order after his head was severed and the guy held it up in front of the crowd and he individually looked at each person as they called his name for 11 seconds.
this fountain is actually in the movie the Devil Wears Prada it's the part where she chucks her phone into the fountain...this is the fountain...
Napoleon's tomb.
le defense which is a war museum. this is also where Napoleon is buried...he's right under the big gold top.
I really liked this statue it reminded me of Vivian.
a very pretty bridge that leads to le defense.
this looks like Asland..
Eiffel Tower as it starts snowing...
Me and the Eiffel Tower
Give peace a chance
these poles say peace in all different languages.
Eiffel tower all lit up.


lit up and in the snow!!!

A metro station that I thought was funny...
this is a metro station too...go Alma lol!!
Melissa being the Eiffel tower she does that a lot...
the best I could do to get a picture of it when it is really lit up...as you can see it is FREEZING!!!
these pictures don't even do it partial justice...it was so beautiful.


Alright...I have one more France post and then you will have see our whole tour de France (not the bike race)....enjoy!!

No comments: