Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Είναι όλα τα ελληνικά σε με.....It's all Greek to me....sorry I could help myself....seriously though thats what that says....

Γειάσου και υποδοχή στην Αθήνα......Allison translate that for the rest of the world lol....okay it says my standard phrase hello and welcome to Athens. You know it could be totally wrong and I wouldn't know because I got it from a free online translator....anyway our last stop on our trip was Athens, Greece....and here are the pictures....
This is the hostel we stayed in...we met some fun people here so it was pretty nice.
the shower that had a curtain that was too short so that every time you showered you basically covered the whole bathroom in water....
Melissa livin it up with some statues.

haha the theater of Dionysus...so this is where my name is derived from, but for those of you who don't know Greek mythology Dionysus is the God of wine and he was like a big party person. So the whole time we were like man he partied so hard he tore the whole place down...nothing but rocks left lol.
Melissa cheering on the invisible fight in the theater.
um...heres the invisible fight...it's a good one too.....
me.
Melissa.....she looks like a mountain women....haha Melissa is so not a mountain person.
a much bigger theater that was apparently kept away from Dionysus's partying ways.
I wonder what this pile of rocks was....Allison any ideas? (I know I called them rocks again...sorry it's shorter than ancient remnants of man made structures.)
Me in a pile of rocks....man it was hot out....
one small step for Melissa, one giant step for an ant.
most of these temples were under reconstruction or something so mostly all you saw were poles.




there was a really nice view at the top of the acropolis though....you can see all the way to the water.
heres the temple of Zeus from the top of the acropolis. We never actually got to go there because they closed it before we could and they closed it at weird hours because we were in Athens over the Greek Orthodox Easter.
haha and archaeologist....this could be you Allison....someday....or this summer in Israel.

a closer picture of the temple of Zeus...this one I took with my long lens.


I did not realize how little was holding up this rock until afterwards when Melissa told me.




Allison or Heather....get to translating....wait do you both take Greek..seriously sometimes I wonder why Melissa and I go all over and see all this stuff that is so over our heads.
man it was sooo hot out...I got so sunburned...
there were dogs all over Athens. If you go in Syntagma square (which is one of the main touristy areas) All these dogs gather and they drink from the fountains, sleep in the shade, and fight with each other. there are sooooo many though all over Athens.
Please do not touch the ancient paint...lol...

hey look a statue of a Goddess....perhaps Aphrodite....lol
okay this was the real statue that label goes with.
clay boots....I don't really know how these word work, but whatever...

Do you know what this is?...........It's an early potty training toilet....that is crazy seriously can any of you imagine potty training a kid on one of these things....lol
THIS IS SPARTA!!!! haha.....
heres the label for the shield....
This is one of the titans I believe....who were around before the Gods....
The Alter of Zeus? I mean if they're not sure....I'm not sure.
So Hephaistos is the God of Metal working. he can make anything with his hands, and Zeus forces Aphrodite to marry him even though she doesn't want to because he's lame....not lame like he's uncool, but lame as in he has a bum leg....
anyway this is his temple...well technically it's his and Athena who is the Goddess of wisdom...
the ants go marching one by one hurrah hurrah....who wrote that song? where did that song come from? where did this picture of ants come from? lol.
So we ate at this restaurant and me being the person I am could not pass up the opportunity for something new(especially when it's sweet) this is a dessert called halvas. It's made with semolina pudding and this particular version has cinnamon. It is seriously delicious. It has a really awesome texture as well...
this is me enjoying havlas
a tram that looks like a train. while we were sitting here resting this tram kept going by and there was this dog that would chase it and bark at it every time. we were seriously terrified that the dog was going to get killed by the thing. It only went nuts over the trams though and not any of the other cars that passed by...
Since we spent our second day in Athens in the same area as the first we ended up eating at the same restaurant because it was pretty much the cheapest place we found. I tried a different dessert the second day...this one is non other than baklava. It was also really good it's like a flaky pastry shell with a whole lot of syrup (like pancake syrup), Grease and walnuts. It was really greasy but it was sooooo tasty.
Like I mentioned before we happened to be in Athens over the Greek Orthodox Easter. apparently in Athens like 98% (or some other ridiculously high number) of the people are Greek Orthodox. and every year on their Easter weekend this head guy of the church goes to Jerusalem and goes in a cave and the light of Christ comes down and sets fire to the torch he has. he then takes the torch on a plane to Athens where he starts the lighting of the candles. then all those who take part in this tradition walk with their candles down the streets of Athens and then they end in a service at midnight (the walking starts around 9ish) I know that was a very brief and very choppy description of it but I didn't even know thats what this was until the next day when I ran into some Mormon missionaries who told me. It was very cool to see all these people with their candles walking through the streets. It was a MASSIVE amount of people.
see massive!!
so our second to last day we went to a beach in Athens....this beach was not really very clean as you can kind of tell by the pictures but we didn't actually swim we just sat around on the sand and played cards.
this is one of the people we met in the Hostel. This is Elizabeth. It was kind of funny because she walked into our same room and Her and I got to talking and when I told her we were actually studying in London she was like me too, then when I told her we were studying at Westminster University she was like ME TOO!!! lol it was pretty funny. We hung out with her before she returned to London and it was pretty fun.


a bee that was slowly dying in te sand next to where we were sitting.


it may look like that statue is blurry because I was in a moving bus when I took it but that is actually what the statue looks like. I thought it as really cool.


So a funny story After Melissa and I found out it was the Greek Easter and everything was closed (I mean everything except one Starbucks and one Mcdonalds) we discovered we didn't have a paper we needed to catch the bus from the airport into London. We walked all over Athens in search of a printer ANY PRINTER. we were about to give up and go back to the hostel and hope that we wouldn't have to pay for whole new tickets (even though thats what the website said we would have to do) when who should I see in the metro station that those lovely suits, ties and tags. After making sure they really were missionaries and not some random people in suits I walked up and was like Mormon missionaries HELP!! lol we explained to them that we were looking for a printer and so one of them made a couple phone calls and found a senior missionary couple that were home and had a printer. So they took us there we printed the paper we needed and they showed us how to get home and all was well. Seriously though I am like a Mormon missionary magnet (go alliterations) wherever I am no matter what if I am in a serious need they just appear out of no where...and I just pounce startling them and they generally solve whatever problem I have. It's pretty nice lol. Anyway so now Melissa and I are back in London. the trip was pretty awesome ( I think I miss Italy and France the most) Now it's time to stop messing around and get down to some studying...by studying I mean planning some last trips that will officially soak up the rest of my money. Anyway I am sure there are still a ton more pictures to come so keep checking my blog....goodbye everyone! or should I say...
αντίο ο καθένας!

No comments: